Wednesday, September 25, 2013

It's Our Lucky Day!

This morning, a repairman came to service my refrigerator. When I answered the front door, a man in his 60s greeted me with a very enthusiastic, "Good morning!"

After following me into the kitchen with some small talk about the weather, he put down his tool box and said, "Guess what happened this morning?!"

"What?" I replied.

"I was pulling out of my driveway and a lady smashed into me," he explained, and clapped his hands together with great force.

"Oh my gosh, are you ok?" I was surprised by his attitude — he didn't seem shaken up or upset; he just seemed excited.

"Yeah, and the lady is ok; but my car is totaled. Cars these days aren't made like they used to be. It's all folded up."

"I'm glad you're ok."

"It's my lucky day!" he exclaimed with a big smile. "I'm alive!"

I try to be positive, but I have to admit,  I don't think my first response to someone smashing into me first thing in the morning and totaling my car would be "it's my lucky day!"

Maybe that wasn't his first response either. But, a couple of hours later, that's what he was feeing. And, he's right.

I thought about him the rest of the day. I also thought about all the reasons why today is my lucky day. My list is pretty long. You may have to think about it, but I bet yours is too.

No comments:

Post a Comment